There are 2 major emergency procedures:
LOCK OUT / EVACUATION - “All Staff & students must leave the building”
LOCK DOWN – “A threat inside or outside the building”
LOCK OUT / EVACUATION
Signal - Fire siren rings continuously
In the event that there is a fire or other need to evacuate the building the fire alarm/siren will be sounded. All staff and students must evacuate the building immediately.
Students must meet their teacher outside to complete roll call.
- EVACUATION PROCEDURE:
Follow regular evacuation routes posted in all rooms
(The evacuation route should be clearly visible in every room in the building.)
Signal - School Bell will ring continuously and/or “Lock Down” announcement.
- LOCKDOWN PROCEDURE
- Students who are in the hallway should go to the nearest secure location.
- If it is safe to do so, teachers and Support Staff quickly look into the hallways; take in any students they see. Students who are in the hallway should go to the nearest classroom immediately.
- Lock doors and move everyone away from the doors and windows and keep the group completely silent until further notice.
- Shut and lock the windows, turn off lights, close window blinds and instruct students to get on the floor. ----- Admit no one except the emergency personnel
- Once inside the room or if you were already in a room when the Lockdown was declared call the main office or 911.
- Remain in your secure area until further notice is given.
- Call 911 if you are in the main office and have access to an outside line.
- Students or staff who are in other areas such as the gym, washrooms, cafeteria, or office; remain there out of sight until the all clear is given. Do NOT attempt to return to the classroom.
- If the situation calls for evacuation of the Centre, you will be notified as to the process and nearest safe exit. Follow the procedures outlined for the evacuation as stated above.
- Staff and students who are outside the building should leave the area immediately and notify the authorities.
REMEMBER, YOUR PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY IS YOUR SAFETY AND THE SAFETY OF YOUR STUDENTS AND OTHER STAFF AT THE CENTRE. DO NOT PUT YOURSELF OR OTHERS IN JEOPARDY